Monday, June 13, 2016

Matariki

Matariki
Matariki is the Maori name for a cluster of Stars which rises in Mid Winter. It is the start of a New Year for The Maori.


This is the cluster of the stars.





We celebrated Matariki at school on Wednesday this week - the 6th June. There were different activities like hand sewing, carving, cooking, flax weaving and mural painting. I chose to do the mural painting with Mrs Hill. It was so much fun.

There were 6 of us in the painting group with Mrs Hill. We had to design our mural and then paint it onto big sheets of wood.


 This is our group:
Ashley who designed our mural
Charlotte, Izzy, Beau, Chris
and me.

In this picture we all had our different pieces to paint. 




I painted the whole river and helped Beau with Te Mata Peak.






I loved painting it and can't wait for it to go up outside the staff room at school.

Something that challenged me was painting the river challenge because I did not want to get blue paint in the koru.
I am proud of my learning because it took along time to paint it and we had to persevere and work together like a team.

























No comments:

Post a Comment